NGS Black Belt Certificate in Six Sigma*
The Black Belt Six Sigma Program is designed for adult working professionals who aim to manage work-related projects, to achieve a skill set relevant to what is generally understood as “six sigma applications” and to apply the “best practices” of six sigma in actual projects.
The Black Belt body of knowledge is generally understood to be the middle level in a three-part hierarchy of knowledge (in ascending order): green belt, black belt, master black belt.
It is worth noting that the accepted sense of what constitutes the black belt level of knowledge, and what is consequently expected of an earned black belt had changed over time. Originally, black belt programs almost exclusively emphasized statistical knowledge and analysis. In the 21st century, it is more generally thought that black belts must acquire leadership, project management, and project-related financial analysis skills in order to “explain” project results to senior management. NGS prerequisites for entry into the Black Belt program are thus derived what appear to be “success indicators” from the applicant’s background and experience.
The Black Belt in Six Sigma Program is an integrated 4 month, 4 course, 12 credit curriculum, which together provide a cohesive body of knowledge about six sigma principles and best practices. There is emphasis on data collection and analysis, as well as understanding and application of statistics.
Topics also include contemporary management techniques such as change management and project management. Attendees are required to complete a work-related project of pre-defined scope which is monitored and closely supervised by academic advisors. The program is offered only in cohort group format.
- 5 years minimum of work or military service
- Familiarity with the principles and best practices of quality systems
- Project Management experience as team leader or team member
- Familiarity with data gathering concepts and techniques
- Familiarity with statistical concepts and best practices
- Access to the internet and a computer for personal use that is adequate to process required software and assignments.
- Affirm commitment to the academic honor pledge “In the pursuit of the highest standards or academic integrity and accomplishment, I pledge to be honest in all academic endeavors and to perform with the utmost level of academic integrity.”
- NGS students are required to sign and submit the NGS Learning Contract Form
Note: Applicants for NGS “dual credential” programs, which award both a degree and a certificate, must fulfill pre-requisite requirements for admission for both programs.
Term of Validity
The NGS Black Belt Certificate is “Valid for Life”. NGS understands the body of knowledge in the field is changing and expanding. The School recommends, but does not require, the return to the institution for current programs after three to five years, to assure the students have the most contemporary and newest knowledge available. Refresher course(s) are offered to previous attendees at a “special” rate.
*Not available in Massachusetts. Not available to Massachusetts residents.